03 May 2010

Cinnamon-Sugar Challah

With graduation looming ever closer, I find my time slipping away from me more and more. I hit the brakes last Friday and decided to make myself a nice loaf of bread. There's nothing better to slow down and unwind with than some nice yeast dough and a few episodes of "Say Yes to the Dress" while it's rising.



This was also deemed the best loaf of challah I have ever made by my roommates. Further proof that cinnamon makes everything better.




Cinnamon-Sugar Challah

1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
1 3/4 cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp salt
1 cup oil
4 eggs plus 1 egg for egg glaze
6-8 cups flour

Mix together granulated sugar and warm water. Sprinkle in yeast, and allow to proof for 15 minutes.
Mix in 4 eggs, 1 cup oil, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
Add flour cup by cup until just slightly sticky.
Place dough ball in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise for at least 4 hours.
Once doubled in size, remove dough from bowl and knead lightly a few times.
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Separate into three balls, and slowly shape the balls into three ropes.
Braid the three strands, tucking the ends under.
Beat the last egg with a fork. Using a pastry brush, glaze the bread.
Bake for 45-60 minutes. The best test for doneness is a hollow sound when the bread is lightly tapped.

1 comment:

  1. For everyone who wants to try this one out, this recipe isn't complete. Twice I have tried it, and twice I have failed. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. (Perhaps the dough should be allowed to risen two times, but I'm just unsure.) In any case, it comes out very dense - each time - regardless of the fact that I bought the yeast for this recipe the day before (and my other ingredients are relatively fresh as well). Even in its rock form, the flavor just isn't there. I would consider myself - at the least - an intermediate baker, so I know what I'm doing. This is not the first time I've made bread (or challah) either. I suggest you look up another recipe and skip past this one altogether. Very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete